UK Dissertation Forum Forums Dissertation My Overcritical Supervisor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Seton
      Participant

I am stuck in the middle of my dissertation. My supervisor is a complete control freak!! I mean he just won’t approve anything. I have completed the qualitative analysis of my research in which I conducted a survey. Oh sorry, let me correct, THREE surveys!! The first time I went to him to discuss my plan for conducting the qualitative analysis, he pointed out the points I missed. Well, that’s Ok. But every time he comes up with an entirely new point (which by the way is totally out of the context) that really makes me question my intelligence!! He’s been like this from the starting though, saying something else now, then contradicting himself tomorrow. But this is really getting to me now. Conducting 3 different surveys, it’s not a joke. I think that he’s the one who is missing out on something. Maybe he’s a patient of multiple personalities. I consulted my management for appointing me a new supervisor, but they won’t listen about it. I have also tried to reason with my supervisor, but let’s just say that he’s not an emphatic person. I am so frustrated!!! Please anybody… just tell me how to deal with him!! But please don’t tell me to build a “healthy happy relationship” with him, because people THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Detra
      Participant

HAHA….That sounds so relatable!! My Guide was a total Critique too!! And she won’t even recognize the fact that it was her support that I initially took for every single section to be framed for my work (and got appreciated too). And eventually she contradicted her own suggested points ! In my opinion Girl, you should just relax coz these so-called-mentors are just so fickle-minded!!! I’m sure he would forget his own critical judgements after a week (trust me !!!!) Just do minor changes to satiate him for now, and then just present what you feel is right !!Perhaps, I could only silence the carping critics, after my much-applauded final VIVA !!!!

ArchieCasey
      Participant

Wow, I was just going through the posts, looking exactly for a ‘supervisor’ hot topic. And this is what I found. Not much of a discussion I see.

Let me just get to the point. All I am looking for are people who have similar concerns regarding their jack-asses-of-a-supervisor, who can help me with some peace-making tips. Needless to say, my supervisor is simply out of the world with a mind-boggling persona (if that is a thing). To start with, I had no choice in choosing him, he was assigned to me, and like a good girl that I am, I let them throw me to the pit of misery. The professor is unbelievably way over his head and thinks that he knows-it-all, like he’s the one who created all the sciences of anthropology! There is no me, every time I go, I gotta first wait as he is too busy watching dirty pictures on his phone, then I get this total 1 hr long lectures about total random things, not even related to my topic. The old bloke simply refuses my drafts or ideas, for whatever reasons. And then goes the taunting, oh my god, he’s just so much worse, he keeps on rejecting and giving his ideas and then changing them, the next time I go to him. W-T-H!! Who does that? My whole research trip has turned into a dreadful nightmare which simply won’t end! How should I get him on track? I just want to get over this.

Jade Fisher
      Participant

In my experience, nobody gels up with his or her supervisor. And you are not supposed to even, because that is the way. All my friends complain about their supervisors and well, I am not far behind. But it’s about those two, or three or four years. You just have to tolerate someone till that time. So I’d say that do not argue or fight with him, sometimes it’s better to act stupid than smart.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.